For the true success of solar energy, people all over the world need to take three basic steps. The last step – the fourth step – is going out and buying a solar energy system. But before this, please do the following:
Step 1: Conserving energy means:
- shut off lights after you use them
- turn your furnace down, and turning it off when not in use
- set room and house air conditioners at 25 degrees
- use a barbecue to reduce your summer air conditioning needs
- use water-efficient shower heads
- fix leaky taps (read about more tips on water saving tips)
Step 2: Improving your energy efficiency means:
- Compact fluorescent lighting, which uses 1/5th of the energy and lasts 10x longer.
- Energy wisdom with your refrigerator. Have it open as little as possible. Let hot food cool on its own before you put it in the fridge.
- Energy smarts with your freezer. Keep your freezer in a cool spot, so it doesn’t have to work as hard.
- Using your microwave. You can save up to 50 percent of your cooking energy costs by using a microwave oven instead of a conventional oven. Read more about saving energy in the kitchen.
- Energy Star appliances use up to 50 percent less electricity than older appliances.
Step 3: Deciding on a solar energy system that fits your needs includes:
- knowing the size and cost involved and having a budget to match
- sizing a solar energy system to your needs
- choosing a solar provider or installing it yourself